Lily had surgery this morning to have tubes placed in both ears. I am praying that this will put an end to the non stop ear infections! She started getting ear infections at 4 months and has had 7 (that we know of) since! Even at well baby visits, our pediatrician always remarked that she had fluid on her ears. The last infection took two rounds of antibiotics to clear and she still had the ever present fluid. I also noticed this last go around that Lily didn't seem to be hearing very well. All of a sudden we could sneak up behind her and she would jump when she turned and realized we were there. We've also noticed that her speech patterns are behind in comparison to Joshua at this age. I realize that all kids develop at their own rate, but Joshua was starting to put two words together and was pretty clear. Lily is still on simple words and doesn't combine any words for early phrasing. The ENT assured me that her speech would take off once we got her head out of a barrel!
Lily did remarkably well for surgery. We had to be there at 6:00 this morning and she couldn't have her usual cup of milk and oatmeal. I figured she'd be a real bear but she giggled and laughed in the car all the way to the surgery center. She did NOT like having her blood pressure taken and she spent a good deal of her time trying to pry the pulse ox off her big toe. I am amazed how quickly is was all said and done. They took her back to the OR at 7:10 and the surgeon was out and talking to us at 7:14. We were home by 8:30. We had one round of vomiting in the car on the way home. I think the motion of the car was too much with all the drugs in her system. Since then she's eaten a normal lunch and has taken two lengthy naps. I've gotten a lot more done today around the house then I expected! I imagine she'll be back to normal tomorrow and will be able to hear all that we hear for once!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I think having your little tiny kid have surgery has got to be one of the most nerve-wracking things; I am so glad that it went well and was SO fast-- gosh! Here's hoping that Lily can be more healthy and happy now.
ReplyDelete