Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Spring in Texas


If you ask my friends, they will tell you that I don't care for the climate in Texas. I have lived in Texas longer than I have lived anywhere else but I still miss the changing of the seasons that we used to get in Colorado. I absolutely love the crisp mornings and changing leaves of autumn. I miss the days of sledding and snow man building in winter with fires in the fireplace and hot chocolate with marshmallows. That's being said...I love it when all the spring flowers start to show up here. Bluebonnets are one thing Colorado didn't have. We don't have bluebonnets yet but I have caught glimpses of color in the flower beds as tulips, daffodils, iris and crocus are peeping through the mulch. I also love the redbud trees that are in bloom in many of the neighborhoods near my office.

Our normal Sunday routine includes community group (Sunday school at most churches) and a worship service. I really love the church we go to but lately it seems like the service goes longer and longer. By the time we get home, get Joshua fed and down for a nap and start chores it's almost two o'clock and the day has gotten away from me. I know many of my friends relish the time because they can get away from their kids for a few hours and enjoy nothing but adult conversation. The kids are usually happy in Sunday school so it works well for everyone. For Eric and I it seems like it has become 4 hours away from Joshua and the quality family time we so cherish on the weekend. It didn't bother me when he was little. He would stay with us the entire time when I was still nursing him. As he got older we would take him the the nursery during community group and have him with us in the service where he would fall asleep on my shoulder and nap. Now he has to go for both sessions since he's just not old enough to sit through a service quietly. It probably wouldn't bother me as much if he enjoyed going to Sunday school. I never have a problem taking him to preschool but he does not want to go to Sunday school. He cries each week and beseechingly says "please don't go, mommy." It breaks my heart. We've had a crazy couple of weeks around here so we decided to play hooky from church this morning and check out the flowers at the Dallas Arboretum. Their bloom festival is still a week or two away but there were lots of pretty flowers to see already. Joshua had a great time as always. Anytime he's outside he's happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment