Lately my house has acquired an arsenal and I'm not really sure how this all happened. I am not a big fan of guns. In fact I have never shot any sort of gun. Not even a BB gun. I am slightly afraid of the things if I am being perfectly honest. Somewhere, I have lost control and find myself in a household with not one but four guns. These four guns have all come on the scene since November. My lovable, wonderful husband tends to be rather obsessive in his hobbies. When we bought our house three years ago, looking up how to care for a single rose bush evolved into a massive organic gardening mayhem complete with compost bin and collector in my kitchen. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against organic gardening. I tend to have a rather black thumb and admire people who can coerce things to grow and produce healthy, yummy food. It was the staggering amount of information and stuff that went with the whole thing. I think Eric owns just about every organic gardening manual out there.
I should have known I was in trouble when he started spending lots of time with a taxidermist friend talking about hunting. Eric has never really been the hunting type. He's gone out twice that I know of and didn't bring anything back with him. Both experiences have been over 10 years ago. Out of the blue (to me anyway) in November he started talking about how it would be fun to go turkey hunting this spring. I tried to be the supportive wife..."sure honey, if you really want to go" and thought it would blow over. Boy was I wrong! Shortly after the election the gun fever really kicked in. I started hearing eloquent speeches on how gun laws were going to change and we really "needed" a semi-automatic rifle for protection.....WHAT?!?!?!?!? I'm still not sure what we are being protected from, perhaps little green men? This all strikes me as very odd. Didn't you have 8 whole years to yearn for and purchase such a gun? We start on the discussion of guns and how much I don't like them. You always see the horribly sad story of how some kid got a hold of dad's gun and shot a friend, family member or himself in the process. I bring up these points and insist if there is EVER going to be a gun in the house there must be a safe. I didn't think the topic of discussion was over but three days later a shotgun shows up in my house. I am still totally confused on how this happened so quickly and think I must have been bamboozled. The point that really rankles is I wasn't told about the expensive purchase until after it occurred.....GGGRRRR!
So for Christmas, said gun safe entered the house along with an inherited rifle that materialized from my in-laws house. I had never heard of said rifle before but so it goes. I thought, ok he has a hunting gun surely the madness is over. WRONG AGAIN! After Christmas the semi-automatic discussion came up again. He went with the shot gun before because it was so much cheaper. Now he has found a way to assemble the semi-automatic from used parts. Does this sound like a bad idea to anyone else? Over the next several weeks gun parts were continually delivered to my doorstep. In fact one day the mail consisted of gun parts and a prescription drug order....I have a problem with this! I am also feeling like we are under surveillance of some sort at this point. Long story short, the gun has been assembled, it works without blowing anyone up and the count in our gun safe is up to 3.
Eric's birthday was yesterday and what did he want for his birthday? You guessed it...a gun. We now add a 40 caliber pistol to our arsenal and a concealed handgun license. This I can sort of see the practicality of. In his profession, Eric comes across some crazy people. Now the big topic of discussion is teaching me to use it and getting me a license and gun of my own. Where did I lose control?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Oh my goodness! I am very unfamiliar with guns, but I am always shocked when I find out how many people I know actually own them. I think it is partly a Texas thing-- part of the culture and whatnot.
ReplyDelete