Leave it to me to be unable to have an uneventful pregnancy. With Joshua it was my blood pressure. I have white coat syndrome which means I tend to freak out when I have to go to the doctor...ironic I know. I had to see a specialist several times with Joshua do to the high readings I would get and keep a blood pressure log where I checked 3-4 times daily at home to prove that I didn't always run that high. Right at the end of my pregnancy with Joshua I did become borderline for pre-eclampsia but it never progressed past that stage. This has been much scarier!
After my glowing check up and sono of Friday, we decided to take Joshua to the zoo Saturday morning with two of his cousins and my sister-in-law. At our lunch stop I discovered that I had some spotting of old blood. So, I called the weekend on-call nurse and headed home. She said it was probably just from my exam and to spend the rest of the weekend laying around and being lazy. If I didn't have any other problems I could go to work on Monday as usual. I never did see any more blood so carried on as normal Monday morning. That night I had a little more and the same on Tuesday morning. Still all old, brown blood but enough to catch my attention and make me freak out a little. I called in sick to work and got an early appointment with my ob/gyn. 3 hours and another sonogram later we found the problem. The sono that I had on Friday was super quick due to the back up in the ultrasound office (45 minuted behind schedule) and the fact that I hadn't had any problems up to that point. The sono they did Tuesday was much more in depth. They found that my placenta on one end is close to my cervix. Apparently the tissue in that area of the uterus if delicate and friable and the corner of placenta that was there has come free of the uterine wall and bled a little. So now we at least had the source of blood. There was still some there but it hasn't been actively bleeding. There is no telling when it all happened. It could have been there last Friday and was missed or it could have happened after that. Fortunately they think the problem will right itself as my uterus grows and moves into the abdominal cavity. The placenta should move with it and away from my cervix. Also, the baby is fine and growing normally. I have been home on limited activity all week. As I am too scared to move much, I have probably limited myself more than he really intended but I figure I'll err on the side of caution. I can go back to work on Monday with a very light schedule and they will do another sono at the end of the month to see how things are going. I don't think I've ever paid so much attention to the toilet paper when I go to the bathroom and I don't remember ever being afraid to sneeze before. Not my best week overall. Raging hormones and an overactive, bored mind do not make the best of combos.


Oh, Susan, that's scary! It is always amazing to me how fragile and out of our control pregnancy is. Take good care of yourself!
ReplyDelete